On December 1, we had a lesson about distinguishing fact vs. opinion in both language arts and in dance (see lesson plans tab). This lesson went well because they were able to use their knowledge about dance to distinguish facts in dance. "That's a turn." "That's running." Then they were able to take those facts and concluded opinions about them such as "He's angry." "They're in love." I loved seeing how many movements the students were able to identify as dance movements. I also enjoyed watching them as they made factual shapes and then changed them based on opinions. It was cute to see the students' facial expressions and how they changed their shapes to match. I really liked when they had their opinions be spicy and tough. It was so fun!
Here are some students creating their dance. They are in a circle because the shape in their abstract picture was circular.
Here are the some students looking at their abstract photo and trying to find facts and make opinions